Sunday, May 13, 2012

MOTHERS DAY THOUGHTS

This weekend is Mothers Day. All over America sons and daughters will pay tribute and express their love to their mothers, as I do also. Unfortunately my mother died too soon at the age of sixty-two almost forty-five years ago. I was clear across the country attending college when it happened and still regret that I wasn't there to tell her how much I loved her and appreciated all she had done for me.

One of my favorite authors, Lewis Grizzard, wrote a little book about his love for his mother, "Don't Forget To Call Your Mama, I Wish I Could Call Call Mine." I'm sure all of us who have lost our mothers can relate to the sentiment of that title. So, if your mother lives close enough for you to visit, go see her. If not, pick up the phone and call. One day, sooner than you think, she will be gone. Don't let that happen without taking the opportunity to say a proper goodbye. You don't want to carry around for the rest of your life a bunch of "if onlys" and sad regrets.

My friend, Lara Lazenby, said it as well as it can be said on her Facebook page this morning, and I hope she doesn't mind my quoting her: "The hardest day of the year for those who have lost a mother, never had a mother, had a horrible mother, lost a child, or never had one. And harder still for all the mothers who are unappreciated by their thoughtless kids and spouses, left alone, abandoned or forgotten. And let's not forget the single moms, the superheroes, who do it alone every single relentless day of the year. And if I forgot someone . . .  well, then I've totally made my point. Big heart hugs to you all!"

May I just add, as one who was fortunate to have such a wonderful mother: Say on, Sister Lara. God bless all mothers everywhere. And don't forget to call your mother. I wish I could call mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment