Saturday, May 5, 2012

FIGHTER JOCK WANNABE

          I'm just a fighter jock wannabe
          But I'm so old I know I'm never gonna be.

          My old A2 hangs in the closet there
          Languishing for want of wear.

          I no longer look anything like dashing,
          And only in highway's traffic face fears of crashing.

          But my wannabe pilot's heart stays strong,
          And stirs each time I hear an airplane's song.

          I may have missed my chance on this side of the sunset,
          But out there where the old pilots live on, I'll bet
          The chance to fly awaits me yet.



[An "A2" is a leather flight jacket worn by military pilots during World War II, and still issued to Air Force pilots today.]

          --Mary-Helen is the poet in the family (see her blog: http://ourwaywithwords.blogspot.com), but sometimes I try.

No comments:

Post a Comment