Monday, January 2, 2012

Technology, Wait For Me

When I was a boy I knew how to do almost everything that was important to me. I could make a sling shot--and use it. If my bike had a flat or slipped the chain, I could fix it. I spent hours building model airplanes, and could even make them fly. My life gurgled on like a summer stream and the complications that intruded were usually quickly solved and didn't warp my tender psyche.

But then I became an adult and while I wasn't looking technology overwhelmed me. Just look at how fast the world changed because of computers. When the company I worked for way back in the technological dark ages installed its first computer the thing filled a room as big as my house. I was fascinated and while watching the process during my breaks I befriended the computer guy in charge. This computer business looked like a good career option so I asked my new friend what courses I should study in college to latch on to this opportunity. "I don't know of a college that teaches computers," he said.

"Well, then what would you study to get in on this deal?" I asked.

"Math is a good field. Or maybe physics," he said.

"What did you study?" I thought surely he had a PhD in astrophysics at least.

His answer left me confused. "I have a degree in French Literature," he said. 

I had a good laugh with him and went back to my desk feeling a little smug that my world was okay and not about to change profoundly. So while I was looking the other way, computers got smarter and smaller and sort of took over. Well, I finally gave in and learned to do what I needed to do on a computer. In fact, I have one on my desk and am using it right now. I also use the Internet, have an e-mail account, and can be found on Facebook. And yet there's always something new to learn.

So, here is my latest attempt to catch up. I'm blogging! And there is much that I want to share. From time to time I'll share excerpts from my books (I am a published author) and my upcoming literary output, and other ideas that come to me. And I hope to hear from you on things that are important to you and feedback on my posts. 

This seems to be a good time to announce a new book that I have coauthored with my wife. Charlie's Girl will be out on May 8, and is our first work of fiction. The blurb on the cover says, "Rosalind never knew the truth about herself, her parents or her past--until now." I hope that is enough to make you want to read it.

I also invite you to get a copy of my other books. I Only Laugh When It Hurts is a series of essays that "paints a bittersweet and vivid portrait of American life and of the lessons--some hard, some hilarious--life can teach."

If you are a Civil War enthusiast you will like Nathan Bedford Forrest: In Search of the Enigma which I coauthored with a former history student of mine, Eddy W. Davison. Edwin C. Bearss, who wrote the foreward recommends it "as must reading for those who want to know Forrest and his way of war." This book won the Arizona Book Award for Biography and was a recipient of the Benjamin Franklin Book Award.

Please check in often. I'll try to keep you entertained.


1 comment: